TANZANET - the Tanzanian Electronic Networking Community - is the first and almost certainly the most successful 'virtual organisation' in Tanzania. It is an organization of regionally and globally separated people, organized through electronic media.
The history of TANZANET goes back to the establishment of WANANET by Prof Dr. Primus Mtenga and Prof Dr. Mohamed Kaseko in the United States of America on 17th July 1992. This organisation got bigger very fast from 8 members in the first week of its establishment to more than 400 members in April 1995. This trend continued to having more than 600 members from all over the world in the years between 1996 and 2006. However, since then, TANZANET organisation just like many other mailing lists is currently experiencing a declining membership base.
Among the list of notable previous or current members: Prof. Issa Shivji, Prof. Haroub Othman (deceased), Dr. Walid Kabouru, Prof. Primus Mtenga, Prof. Mohamed Kaseko, Dr. Stergomena Tax, Ambassador Dr. Aziz Ponary Mlima, Hon. January Makamba(MP), Prof. Dr. Mohamed Janabi etc.
The Tanzanian Electronic Networking Community (TANZANET) is an organization of regionally and globally separated people, organized through electronic media. TANZANET organization acts as a platform for communication, discussion, social, advertising and other undertakings for the economic, scientific and educational advancement of The United Republic of Tanzania and its people.
With reference to the Constitution of TANZANET Online Organization, paragraph 3 (1-3):
- TANZANET is a world-wide discussion non-profit Organization whose primary objective is to provide a forum for information exchange among Tanzanian nationals and other interested persons through the world-wide Internet. Discussions in the forum shall be open and not restricted to any particular subject or topic, but strong emphasis shall be placed on issues related to the enhancement of the quality of life of Tanzanians.
- TANZANET is a free and neutral group with no affiliation to any political, social or religious organization. In the course of discussions, the views expressed shall be deemed to be of those individual members who air and subscribe to them and not necessarily those of TANZANET as an Organization.
- The Organization will seek to encourage freedom of speech allowing members of TANZANET to agree, disagree or agree to disagree in full harmony to express their opinions without fear of any form of harassment.
Thus, TANZANET Mailing List is one of the tools for the realisation of the objectives stated in the constitution.
TANZANET mailing list's primary objective is to provide a forum for information exchange among Tanzanian nationals and other interested persons through various mode of communication including the world-wide Internet. Discussions in the forum is open and not restricted to any particular subject or topic, but strong emphasis is placed on issues related to the enhancement of the quality of life of Tanzanians.
(NEW! We have created a new Google Group as a restricted “Mailing List”)
CODE OF CONDUCT:
- The Code is intended to make networking life easier by providing guidelines of what is, and is not, expected of members of Tanzanet.
- The Code shall be made a by-law and provided for in the Constitution.
- The Code shall be enforceable through penalties.
- Each member maintains the right and duty to privately or publically point out any breaking of the Code to the offending party or the enforcement organs.
- To ensure adherence to the Code, an Etiquette Officer(EO) shall monitor and enforce daily adherence. The EO shall be appointed by the Chair of the Admin sub-committee (AdmC) but shall not be a member of the Executive Committee (ExeC) or any of its sub-committees.